[LMB] Points of view - Characters

Kathy Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Oct 27 17:20:40 BST 2021

On Oct 27, 2021, at 9:08 AM, brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

>> On Oct 27, 2021, at 6:58 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, yes, that's rough, but that's the point; we're apparently meant to see
>> her as pretty and fun and sweet, and I just don’t.
>
> I wouldn’t have guessed that that’s what we were meant to see.

Yeah — she’s presented as the twins’ main problem, so no, I don’t think we’re meant to see her as anything like totally admirable.  Even the twins mock her — fondly, but still — and they know that most of their troubles are her fault (maybe ultimately their dead father’s, but more proximately hers).  I daresay we are meant to find her delightful to read about — and what’s-his-name who is eventually cornered into achieving the ultimate goal of his life and marrying her — and I do, but the mockery is there too.  And one certainly wouldn’t want to have her in one’s family!

Katherine