[LMB] OT: Dune

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 03:05:56 BST 2021

Sylvia McIvers suggested we talk about The Spirit Ring or any other book.

I thought I'd ask about Dune. I haven't seen the movie and don't know when
(or if) I will, but I've been hearing good things about it from people I
trust (and some I don't). I've been hearing bad things about it from people
I trust, too. So...?

I should explain that I hated the book (bo-ring and then some) and the
previous filmed versions, but this one intrigues me - partly because of
what people are saying about it being visually marvellous, but mostly
because I've had a thing for Timothee Chalumet ever since I saw him in The
King, which is so much more my kind of movie.

But still. I don't want to be hidebound.

One negative thing I read was that it's another "white saviour" movie.

Have any of you seen it? What did you think?

(I might add that I liked many of Frank Herbert's other books.)

namaste,
Elizabeth