[LMB] OT: Wreck update

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 20:24:02 BST 2021

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:31:32 +0000, Gwynne Powell
<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

>From: WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com>
>
>I finally got the car back after 4 weeks. There?s a little more vibration since they had to replace the mounting bushings.
>I had to pay $500 deductible to get the car. Since the insurance company for the other driver is saying that their policy was not in force at the time of the accident, it will be treated as an uninsured motorist and I?ll be out $250.
>So the accident that happened when I was stopped at a light will cost me $250 and a month without a car. It could be worse, if I hadn?t had the uninsured motorist coverage, it would have been thousands.
>William A Wenrich
>
>Gwynne: I like the way they say the 'policy was not in force' at the time of the
>accident; in other words, the guy didn't have insurance. We're not allowed to
>drive without insurance here, I thought it was the same over there. So the
>clown who hit you should be liable to pay, but I know that it's often difficult
>to get money out of some people, even when they clearly owe it.  Anyway, it's
>good that you're ok, which is what matters most.

It presumably isn't allowed, and the police will want a word, I'd
imagine - but that's not the insurance company's problem.

I'm not sure how it works there - here in the UK, insurers contribute to
a fund to cover accidents caused by uninsured drivers, and there is
generally no "excess" (what the US calls a "deductible").

I believe they are required to report such matters to DVSA (Driver &
Vehicle Standards Agency), and they presumably have a police liaison -
but you never know with DVSA (they're known in the vehicle data business
as "Hogwarts", because they are a law unto themselves and no outsider
has a clue what goes on in there).

--
How fast can you hack into the system!?" "20-25 minutes."
"You've got 10 minutes!" "Okay, well then I can't." - real life