[LMB] Spirit Ring Ch 4 and ranking "Dads" in Bujold canon

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Thu Oct 28 20:56:15 BST 2021

Very good discussion topic!
________________________________
From: Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of Pouncer via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 11:09 AM
To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Cc: pouncer at aol.com <pouncer at aol.com>
Subject: [LMB] Spirit Ring Ch 4 and ranking "Dads" in Bujold canon

In chapter four, Fiametta has rescued her illfather to escape in a fishing boat.
"The pearls in that hairnet were worth morethan this entire leaky boat," Master Benefortesaid, "Let alone this day's catch."
Cranky old man, isn't he? Not the mostappreciative of fathers. But he inspired his daughter to some greatness...
Where does Master B fall in the rankings?
In Bujold canon,  I'd think the worst of thebunch has to be Ser Galen.  Maybe a minus five on (-5) to (+5) scale.  To whateverextent we allow Bruce VanAtta to fill theslot for fathers,  he's near the bottom, aswell.  Near or AT the top, we have ("...yourson! "  "Which one?")  Aral Vorkosigan. Sorrel Bluefield has his faults, but *I* quite admire the man. "You know... I'vedrawn you and your brother out of wells of your own digging more than once... everyboy's got to survive his share of foolishness."
The 5GU Father of Winter has an unfairadvantage and, IMO, should not be includedin the rankings.
OTHERWISE,  who do we have as benchmarkfather figures?  Where do they rank forappreciativeness, dutifulness, beingwhatever a "good father" is required tobe?
Then, where on that list does Beneforte fall?

Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to mathews55 at msn.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk