[LMB] OT: Shooting

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Thu Oct 28 22:49:44 BST 2021

 New Mexico apparently has an involuntary manslaughter charge, which might apply. Civil liability is particularly likely, IMHO.
Karen A. Wyle
    On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 05:39:30 PM EDT, <alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

 On Thu, 28 Oct 2021, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> We’ve all heard by now of the shooting on a movie set in NM. It appears
> that several people were negligent and any one of the following would
> have broken the chain of events that resulted in the death. Live rounds
> are never allowed on movie sets.  Someone brought them there, loaded the
> gun and, supposedly, used it for target practice. The armorer is
> supposed to make sure that the guns on the set had no live rounds. The
> assistant director said that the gun was “cold” when he handed it to the
> actor. He didn’t check it himself. Basic firearm training and procedures
> states that you treat all firearms as loaded unless you personally have
> checked an have not had the firearm out of your possession.
>
> My question is about law not politics.
>
> Since four or five people had to be negligent for the shooting to occur,
> shouldn’t all of them be charged?

Certainly they need to be held responsible by the film company and their
professional associations. Possibly they could be charged with negligence.
Murder requires intent, and even manslaughter would be iffy IMHO, so I
doubt that would be possible.

Oddly enough, we recently saw an old Perry Mason TV movie from 1986 which
was very similar to this situation: _Perry Mason: The Case of the Shooting
Star_. In that movie, a TV show host is killed by a friend on-set when the
friend fires a gun that was supposed to fire blanks but instead had a live
round. The solution ends up being very reminiscent of #MeToo.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca