[LMB] Spirit Ring Ch 4 and ranking "Dads" in Bujold canon

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 23:05:27 BST 2021

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 1:09 PM Pouncer via Lois-Bujold <

> In chapter four, Fiametta has rescued her illfather to escape in a fishing
> boat.
> "The pearls in that hairnet were worth morethan this entire leaky boat,"
> Master Benefortesaid, "Let alone this day's catch."
> Cranky old man, isn't he? Not the mostappreciative of fathers. But he
> inspired his daughter to some greatness...
> Where does Master B fall in the rankings?

Where would Barr even fit on the scale?  For many years  he didn't know he
was a daddy. When he found out, he tried to do something...  too late.  The
mom didn't want him around, she was already bitter from the secrets she had
to keep.

But secrets come out, and Barr tried really hard to help his kid.
(Of course, he was only at the right place at the right time for Plot
Purposes, but still.)

Sylvia (secretly aware that actually teh WHOLE SERIES  is there for plot
purposes, but I won't tell if you won't)