[LMB] OT: Dune

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 23:40:02 BST 2021

Matthew George said, re Dune:

> If you hated the novel, why see this movie at all?  Just go rent the
recent
> "Little Women" adaptation.

I may do that anyway. But the fact that people are calling Dune visually
magnificent (albeit dark) makes me want to see it out of curiosity. Plus I
often enjoy movies that are based on books I didn't like, simply because of
the difference between book and film, not to mention creative choices that
are made.
Could you explain about the novel being a fractal?

> It's especially ironic in this case because of what Paul ends up becoming
> in the later novels, which was partly due to Herbert's frustration that
> people persisted on seeing him as a Hero instead of a tragic victim

I think I saw him as a hero (albeit a boring one), so I quite possibly
missed the point of the book entirely. All the more reason I should read it
again, though I'm not in any hurry to.

namaste,
Elizabeth