[LMB] OT: Wreck update

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 12:43:19 BST 2021

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 23:04:56 -0700, "A. Marina Fournier via Lois-Bujold"
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

>On Oct 28, 2021, at 10:27 PM, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ?I'm glad you're okay too.
>> In Nebraska you have to show proof of insurance to renew your license tag.
>
>Gwynne:

>>> of the
>>> allowed to
>
>Marc?

Yep.

>>> I'm not sure how it works there - here in the UK, insurers contribute to
>>> a fund to cover accidents caused by uninsured drivers, and there is
>>> generally no "excess" (what the US calls a "deductible")
>
>Marina:
>In CA, you have to have proof of insurance when you register your car. I think the same is true for a driver’s license.  If you want a license so that you can drive a rental or a friend’s car, you can’t get insurance, as it’s your car that’s insured, not you the driver.

That's ... kinda weird.  I know many people who have a licence but no
car.  Because e.g. they live in London, and a car is more of a liability
than a benefit, much of the time.

My wife's cousin is one such; they're members of a car-share service. If
they need a car, they can book one for an hour, a day, a week.. cheaper
than rental.  And of course they can rent on holiday if they do the
fly/drive thing.

We have four cars in our household, and they're all covered on one
multi-car, multi-driver policy, for various combinations of designated
drivers.

As an insured driver, I'm also insured (third-party only, the
legally-mandated minimum) to drive any other car with the owner's
permission - which can be useful in an emergency, say.

>My license expires in 2024, by which time even my accidents (poor depth perception (because I’m short) when in a car whose hood, much less the absolute front—almost any car I’ve been in, including VW Beetles) five years ago will disappear & premiums should be reasonable, for some value of ‘reasonable’.

I'm in the sweet spot, insurance-wise, where my premiums go down
year-on-year, though they will start to rise again once I top 70.  I do
have 46 years' No-claims discount (sadly, it peaks at 60%, or they'd be
paying me!)

And herself's last claim was over four years ago, so that drops of the
radar at the next renewal, so it should go down even further.

And I live out in a rural area, so it's a low-risk area for thefts etc
so relatively affordable.

If I were a millionaire, I'd not carry insurance, though; I'd post a
bond and self-insure.  I'd be about 50 grand up in today's money if I'd
had that option at 17.
--
Wonderful fact of the day:  In Scotland, there are twice as many
Giant Pandas as Conservative MPs.