[LMB] OT: Calibre 5.x and deDRM

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 13:01:29 BST 2021

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 20:16:43 -0500, Mark Allums <mark at allums.email>
wrote:

>Yes, I have.  It works fine.
>
>You should know that Amazon has changed the DRM again on KFX format
>books, and no existing DeDRM program has broken it.  However, if you
>download AZW (KP8) files, they still work.  Steps are needed to ensure
>that you get AZW files.  The safest way and easiest is to download to PC
>from the web as if to transfer them to a kindle manually, then import
>the file to Calibre. You need a Kindle, preferably an older one, and to
>enter the serial into Calibre.  Instructions on the web, if you are
>unfamiliar as yet.

I've been doing it for years.  It stopped working when I foolishly
upgraded to Calibre 5.  I have about a dozen serial numbers in there,
I've had a number of ereaders, and so have herself and the offspring.

I curate everyone's ebooks, as the others don't have the patience. :)

>The DeDRM plugin for Calibre is up to 7.2.1, I suggest you update.
>Also, Calibre is up to 5.30.0, and early versions of v5 had issues

I tried installing that, and it refused to install the plugin, saying it
had no top-level python routine.

Ah- it was 7.1 I had.  I might retry with 7.2.1, let's see what happens.

>You can hack old versions of Kindle for PC to deliver AZWs.  Beware! You
>need earlier versions of Kindle for PC for that.  The latest versions
>have been hardened, and also, it is difficult to keep it from
>self-updating.  The may be what happened to you.

No, I'm not (or haven't been) using Kindle for PC. I've now installed
it, and a program called "Epubor Ultimate" - you can just drop an AZW
file on it, and it creates a de-DRM'd version in an output folder, which
I can then import into Calibre.  It's commercial software, but it's a
one-time purchase.

>Or, you can do what I did, and switch to KOBO.  The DeDRM plugin still
>works as of of now with KoBo books.  Bonus, you don't give cash to Amazon.

I have only recently spent £300+ on a 2021 Oasis; I'm really not going
to spend the same again on another device to save a bit of hassle!

Herself had a Kobo, and hated it.  Not least, no screen lock, and it
died about 20 minutes after the warranty ran out.

They used to be carried by Smiths in the UK, but now you have to ship
one from abroad.  I'm sure the readers have improved (the one with a
stylus looks kind of neat), but I'm too invested in the ecosystem to
change horses (I have > 2,000 Kindle books, and magazine subs such as
Analog).

--
I have a lot of concerns about the leakage of classified
information. I've also got a lot of concerns about the