[LMB] OT: Calibre 5.x and deDRM

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 13:17:52 BST 2021

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:01:29 +0100, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 20:16:43 -0500, Mark Allums <mark at allums.email>
>wrote:
>
>>Yes, I have.  It works fine.
>>
>>You should know that Amazon has changed the DRM again on KFX format
>>books, and no existing DeDRM program has broken it.  However, if you
>>download AZW (KP8) files, they still work.  Steps are needed to ensure
>>that you get AZW files.  The safest way and easiest is to download to PC
>>from the web as if to transfer them to a kindle manually, then import
>>the file to Calibre. You need a Kindle, preferably an older one, and to
>>enter the serial into Calibre.  Instructions on the web, if you are
>>unfamiliar as yet.
>
>I've been doing it for years.  It stopped working when I foolishly
>upgraded to Calibre 5.  I have about a dozen serial numbers in there,
>I've had a number of ereaders, and so have herself and the offspring.
>
>I curate everyone's ebooks, as the others don't have the patience. :)
>
>>The DeDRM plugin for Calibre is up to 7.2.1, I suggest you update.
>>Also, Calibre is up to 5.30.0, and early versions of v5 had issues
>
>I tried installing that, and it refused to install the plugin, saying it
>had no top-level python routine.

That was my error; I was giving it the zip file, not the zip file within
the zip file.

>Ah- it was 7.1 I had.  I might retry with 7.2.1, let's see what happens.

So, I installed 5.31, and deDRM 7.2.1 - and it's still not converting
the books.  I'm stumped.  I still have the sideways method, although
it's slightly less convenient.

--
George R.R. Martin is no longer on Twitter because he's
killed all 140 characters.  - David Gerrold