[LMB] OT: Shooting

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 29 13:20:07 BST 2021

From: WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com>

We?ve all heard by now of the shooting on a movie set in NM. It appears that several people were negligent and any one of the following would have broken the chain of events that resulted in the death.
Since four or five people had to be negligent for the shooting to occur, shouldn?t all of them be charged?
William A Wenrich

Gwynne: I feel sorry for Baldwin (obviously more sorry for the victim
and her family, though.) I don't like Baldwin, but in this case - imagine
the horror of killing someone like that. I don't think he should be charged,
he had no responsibility for the chain of disasters.

I think the armorer is hugely responsible - she apparently loaded the
guns, left them unattended on a trolley, and didn't check them again
when one was taken. And she didn't seem to know the difference
between live and blank ammunition. She was also the one responsible for
all firearms on the set.

The assistant director is also responsible - he was supposed to recheck
the weapon, but he just handed it to Baldwin and told him it was safe.

I think the two of them will bear most of the responsibility and bear the
brunt of the legal issues, depending on how rich and influential their
family are (the armorer has an important-director dad, which is apparently
why she got the job.)

But the ones who are also responsible, who will walk away scot-free, are
the company functionaries, and the Powers That Be. They pushed the
production to the edge, they allowed and even encouraged sloppy
conditions, they turned a blind eye to shortcuts and carelessness. They
made it possible for the tragedy to happen, and they'll get away clean.