[LMB] OT: Shooting

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Fri Oct 29 14:05:22 BST 2021

On 29/10/2021 13:20, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> From: WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com>
>
> We?ve all heard by now of the shooting on a movie set in NM. It appears that several people were negligent and any one of the following would have broken the chain of events that resulted in the death.
> Since four or five people had to be negligent for the shooting to occur, shouldn?t all of them be charged?
> William A Wenrich
>
> Gwynne: I feel sorry for Baldwin (obviously more sorry for the victim
> and her family, though.) I don't like Baldwin, but in this case - imagine
> the horror of killing someone like that. I don't think he should be charged,
> he had no responsibility for the chain of disasters.

Baldwin was one of the producers. If I understand correctly, a number of
crew walked off the previous day due to unsafe conditions.

The producers are the ones who are responsible (and should IMHO be held
responsible) when the conditions are unsafe.

So it's not Baldwin the shooter but Baldwin the producer who should be
held responsible.

No matter what happens, I think the case will be studied by law students
to illuminate the finer points of culpability/responsibility.

Reminds me of the (apocryphal) story of the guy who jumped off the tenth
story building. Suicide, right?

But as he was falling past the ninth floor his head was blown off by a
shotgun. Murder?

But the guy who shot his was not aiming at him, he was aiming at his
wife. Manslaughter?

But the guy who was aiming at his wife didn't know the shotgun was
loaded. Someone who knew he often used the empty shotgun to threaten his
wife must have loaded it to make him kill her. Attempted murder by an
unknown third party?

Turns out the guy who jumped was the son of the people on the ninth
floor, he had a falling out with his parents and he loaded the shotgun
hoping his father would kill his mother.  But there was an unusually
long pause in the arguments between his parents, and he grew despondent
about the failure of his cunning plan, so he jumped.

It was suicide after all.