[LMB] OT: Shooting

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 14:16:14 BST 2021

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 6:53 AM WalterStuartBushell <proto at panix.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 28, 2021, at 6:34 PM, Louann Miller <domelouann at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've toyed with the idea of a novel about a man being shot and killed by
> > rifle, out in the woods, while wearing a Bigfoot costume and making hoax
> > tracks. As I imagine it, a lot of the plot would hinge on whether the
> > hunter with the rifle thought he was shooting a man or an animal.
>
> Big Feet were and are out of season, like cows.

I think at least one state has declared them an endangered species, which
seems a little premature but well-meant.
Wearing my fan-of-weird-stuff hat, I would hate to shoot a Bigfoot
(supposing I was a good enough shot) because it might be a sentient being.
Like Fuzzy Sapiens but bigger.
Wearing my science-geek hat, having a dead body (or even part of one) to
submit for permanent scientific study would provide a type specimen and
settle the existence of the critter.  None of this "here's a blurry photo
of the body, but oops, my house burned down with it inside right after
that" stuff. Heck, finding an unfossilized half of a lower jaw lying around
in the woods would settle it. They can sequence Neanderthal genomes,
something that fresh would be a walk in the park.
My personal opinion is that Bigfoot is entirely made up. But I admit that
nothing makes it physically IMpossible, and given solid evidence I am
prepared to concede the point graciously.

That reminds me about the Tom Lehrer song about hunters.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A92_XFvez9U

Lucky for me, when I was in college 1984-1988 one of my best buddies had
two Tom Lehrer albums on vinyl and the means to play them. Great stuff.
Although I found out later that it wasn't my first exposure to his work. He
did at least two songs for "The Electric Company" kids show in the 1970s,
"Silent E" and "L-Y."