[LMB] Spirit Ring Ch 4 and ranking "Dads" in Bujold canon

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Sat Oct 30 11:49:15 BST 2021

> On Oct 30, 2021, at 12:49 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com <mailto:ravenclaweric at gmail.com>>
>
> How would Bothari rate as a father?
>
> Gwynne: He did a pretty good job, really. He accepted his daughter, I think she
> was the only one of those replicator babies who was accepted by the father. He
> supported his daughter, he made sure that she had a secure home. He had goals
> and dreams for her; they weren't the same as those she had for herself, but many
> parents have that problem. He aimed high for her, within his own world view.

Many of the father’s were dead, and their was no effort to track the surviving fathers.
Barrayar may not have had the technology and bringing in non Barrayaran technology
and technicians would be inadvisable particularly Komarrans. Then do you give the
offspring to the fathers or try them for rape?

Hey a whole new plot bunny, the orphans use genetic databases to find their biological parents.

Could be played for comedy, pathos, tragedy or bathos. Maybe some of the children’s biological
fathers were not Barrayan. I am aware of the evil that lurks in the hearts of men, of women not so
much.

This should be possible at least by the time Gregor actually takes power and Aral becomes secondary.

Better to handle the situation as they did discreetly.

—
Of course our planet has its mood swings – it is, after all, bipolar.