[LMB] LMB] Spirit Ring Ch 4 and ranking "Dads" in Bujold canon

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 13:04:51 BST 2021

From: WalterStuartBushell <proto at panix.com>

Hey a whole new plot bunny, the orphans use genetic databases to find their biological parents.
Could be played for comedy, pathos, tragedy or bathos. Maybe some of the children?s biological
fathers were not Barrayan. I am aware of the evil that lurks in the hearts of men, of women not so
much.

Gwynne: This refers to the replicators after Escobar, but I always wondered
about Vormuir's baby factory.

It said that he'd used discarded eggs, but there's a big difference between
deciding you're finished and discarding the rest, and finding out that you have
another child. Some of those women could have been really traumatised by
that. Then there's the complication that it's not their husband's child so even
if the mother got custody (Yes, and challenge in Vormuir District), the child may
not be accepted by the stepfather. Bastards aren't loved on Barrayar, after all.

Did word spread about the baby factory? I'm sure it had to, after a while. What
about any women who'd discarded eggs - was there a way they could check?
Did any of them at least get access visits to their children? There's a really
heartbreaking story behind the humour in this one.