[LMB] OT: What is your 10?

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Sat Oct 30 15:17:55 BST 2021

Whenever you are in the hospital you are commonly asked about pain and you are asked to rate your pain on a scale of 0 to 10. The problem is that there’s no way to actually measure pain. (A long time ago I saw a TV episode, I think it was Ben Casey, about a woman with tic de la roux, extreme stabbing pain in the face, where they tried to measure her pain by crushing her ankle. I thought that was horrible. I hope that’s never done in RL. Likely the Betans could do better.)
Even describing pain can only be done in reference to the patient’s past experiences. I have never had a kidney stone or shingles is delivered a baby (obviously) so I can’t compare my pain to any of those. My 10 level of pain was riding in an ambulance on a rough road with the bone ends in my broken leg grating together.
There is something I think is a fallacy, that say that if you’re hurt or hungry or disappointed, the fact that someone else has it worse (starving children in China) negates your experience.

William A Wenrich

  *    A sinner, utterly dependent on God’s grace.