[LMB] OT: What is your 10?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 16:15:53 BST 2021

From: WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com>

Whenever you are in the hospital you are commonly asked about pain and you are asked to rate your pain on a scale of 0 to 10. The problem is that there?s no way to actually measure pain. ....
Even describing pain can only be done in reference to the patient?s past experiences. I have never had a kidney stone or shingles is delivered a baby (obviously) so I can?t compare my pain to any of those. My 10 level of pain was riding in an ambulance on a rough road with the bone ends in my broken leg grating together.
William A Wenrich

Gwynne: After my first knee operation they'd ask me about my pain. It was
fairly intense but I'd say one or two, because the injury before the operation
was absolutely agonising, and that was my ten (When I did it, the pain was
so extreme that I was literally paralysed: for a short time I was frozen,
 completely unable to move, and I couldn't make a sound to call for help.)
Looking back, I should probably have said about a six.

With the second knee operation I was a bit more realistic about the pain level.
Not that it mattered, the painkillers they gave me didn't do much good. I hadn't
taken painkillers before the op, I wasn't going to start after, anyway. I generally
manage pain by making noises and swearing (which is actually proven to help.)
This works great in lockdown; not so good when you're out in public again.