[LMB] OT: What is your 10?

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 17:21:24 BST 2021

brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> I can always imagine a worse pain.   So nothing can ever be a 10.

When I had gallstones a couple of years ago, and was asked to rate my
pain, I said it was an 8.  And explained that I could imagine it being
throughout my body and continuous and ongoing indefinitely, instead of
being localized and coming in waves, and having an anticipated end.

See also the "Hyperbole and a Half" pain scale:
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/02/boyfriend-doesnt-have-ebola-probably.html

And XKCD:
https://xkcd.com/883/

When I was brought to Emerg, the paramedic told me that he'd make sure
I got pain relief promptly, since I was obviously in a great deal of
pain and -- in his words -- he knew I wasn't "one of those people who
keeps coming to Emerg often".  When he came back, I told him (I'll omit
the laboured breathing) that I appreciated his doing that, but that my
wife came to Emerg often, because she had several *real, severe* health
problems that weren't being treated properly.

He tried to backtrack: "I didn't mean that those people are making
things up and don't deserve the same treatment", or words to that
effect.  But of course that's *exactly* what he meant.

Joel