[LMB] OT: What is Christianity?

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Sep 1 14:01:15 BST 2021

On Sep 1, 2021, at 7:02 AM, Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com> wrote:

> There have been many Christian groups which did not believe in the Trinity.
> The Churches of Rome and Constantinople  labelled them heretics, but they
> were Christian heretics.

Yes, exactly — and even the Nicene Creed is not as immutable as one might think.  This well sourced Wikipedia article discusses some of the changes and controversies over the centuries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed.  But most people who call themselves Christian neither know nor care about the filioque or homoousion arguments.  And then there’s the Athanasian Creed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athanasian_Creed) — many Christians reject the first couple of sentences, but I would think most would agree with the statement “the Father incomprehensible, the Son incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost incomprehensible” (Book of Common Prayer, p. 864).  And possibly the creed incomprehensible.

Katherine, cradle Episcopalian