[LMB] self-driving vehicles OT:

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Sep 1 22:07:53 BST 2021

On Sep 1, 2021, at 4:38 PM, brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

>> On Sep 1, 2021, at 2:35 PM, Katherine (Kathy) Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu <mailto:kcollett at hamilton.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> Well, depends on what science fiction you’re looking at.  Something like the Jetsons, yes.  But Heinlein’s future history included smart cars (aircars, whatever) like Gay Deceiver in Number of the Beast.
>
> Incrementally?   These had human-typed intelligences.

And eventually sentience and sapience, like the computer Mycroft in Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.  Gay’s situation was a little different, as she didn’t become fully a person until they’d been to Oz.  But I wasn’t addressing the incrementally part, just the distinction between a dumb car driven by a robot and a smart car that drives itself — that, essentially, is a robot (though not an android).

Katherine