[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 22:33:20 BST 2021

On Sep 1, 2021, at 11:03 AM, Tony Zbaraschuk <tzbarasc at lasierra.edu> wrote:

> I am very much looking forward to the day when I can call up an online
map,
> tell the car "get me there", and settle back in and read a book.

Oh, me too. I would love that.

> Self-driving cars could be a game-changer for people who should no >
longer be driving, especially in even mildly rural areas where there’s
> no public transportation (nor Lyft or Uber availability).

Amen. I don't drive; never have, never really wanted to. My parents didn't
drive, either - at least, not when I was young. When he was maybe about 70,
my father got his driver's licence. And now I'm not too far off 70, I'm
considering it. Reluctantly.

It wasn't so bad before COVID, but I really don't want to spend time on
city buses, and my walking isn't as good as it used to be. I used to walk
everywhere. Now the body isn't so cooperative.

And really?  Everything everyone has said here about bad drivers on the
road, and bad conditions, makes me inclined to put a lot more trust in AI
vehicles than in human beings.  Sure, computers are fallible, but so are
people.

I see the value in people being able to make snap moral decisions, but
there are a lot of drivers I know whom I wouldn't trust to make such
decisions.  Many of the best drivers I know have been in accidents at one
time or another, some trivial, some not. Could a self-driving car have
avoided those accidents? Maybe.

I would love a car that would relieve me of the responsibility of driving,
but give me the independence and mobility a car can give.

This is without considering the cost, either to me in buying it, or to the
planet in creating it. That's another question.

Or I'll take a haut bubble, if it's on offer.

namaste,
Elizabeth