[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Sep 2 00:01:04 BST 2021

On Sep 1, 2021, at 3:38 PM, Richard G. Molpus <rgmolpus at flash.net> wrote:

> I'd like self-driving cars that really worked. I'd love to set my car for a vacation destination (Maine, from Texas); climb in, and only have to pay attention to refueling stops.
> Texas to Maine is 24 hours one way; so letting the car drive for 20 of those hours would be ideal. Taking over for fuel and food (or dodging around New York City) would be great.

I like that idea!

On Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 05:23:05 PM CDT, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My favorite aspect of a self driving car would be its ability to
> independently park itself. So my car can drop me off at the front door of
> my destination then go through the tedious process finding a space and
> parking.

Lots of seniors and those with mobility issues (or subscriptions!) would find that so blasted convenient.

Eric talks about headlights in the eyes—migraine spikers for me, as well as temporarily blinding me. Driving unavoidably at night with a migraine is hell, especially since wearing sunglasses is out. But now I have those Transitions lenses, which might help.

I haven’t driven in five years. Perhaps my minor collisions before then will have left DMV records & I can afford insurance—back & side view cameras would greatly reduce likelihood of the sorts of issues I’ve had in the past.

Marina