[LMB] OT: Film recs was End of Slavery

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Thu Sep 2 09:01:18 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Tuesday, August 31st, 2021 at 1:18 PM, catherine muir <c_muir68 at hotmail.com> wrote:

 can I recommend a few films which – while fictional in some details – are factual where it comes to legal and parliamentary records.

> Belle – a sort-of romance set against the final appeal of the “Zong” case which, while not ending slavery, made trafficking in slaves less profitable.
SNip

> Amazing Grace – snip makes slavery itself much less profitable again.
>
> Lincoln – an interesting compare-and-contrast with Amazing Grace, since it deals with a much shorter time line and US rather than UK parliamentary shenaningans.
>
> Interestingly, NONE of these films shows actual slavery in action. (For that, you want “12 years a Slave” – which does not deal with trying to end slavery. Pause for contemplation of that.)

Thanks for the film tips, sounds very interesting :-)
Apparently the only way to stop atrocities is by making them unprofitable..Does that say something about humanity, or about systems?
What significance do you put on the fact the former films did not show slavery, while 12 yrs did?
Off hand it seems that the first one had the legal struggles as their theme, while 12 yrs aimed to show to realities of slavery?