[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Sep 2 13:39:18 BST 2021

> On Sep 1, 2021, at 10:32 PM, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well yeah, a regular wall socket would work. But, if you get a fancy
> expensive electric car then you'll want a fancy expensive charging station.

The option to upgrade from 120 volts to 230 volts doesn’t have to cost that much, some garages already have the wiring for dryers.

Single phase and triple phase makes a difference.

The big thing with Tesla’s wall station is it’s easy to use.   But electricians may charge more if they think they can.    My brother has a plug-in hybrid with a long 230 cord reaching from his dryer plug.   He didn’t spend the money to get a more convenient plug next to his car.   But his car can be fully charged overnight with just 110.   “Fully charged” for hybrids is only 30 miles or so.   EVs want to go hundreds of miles on a charge.