[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

markus baur baur at chello.at
Thu Sep 2 15:54:12 BST 2021

100 miles away is 200 miles both ways .. roughly 50% of a typical tesla
range ..

50% of 80 kWh = 40 kWh ..

assuming that the battery is empty

which is a bad assumption - first of all one should not drop battery
charge that low unless absolutely necessary, so second - when you return
from work or other ways on the day before the charge state will most
likely more like 40 or 50% (so you actually could do the trip without
charging .. ), so the charging problem is a lot less severe

we need to charge 40 kWh in 12 hours (typical night)

40/12 = 3,4 kW .. or 28 amps @ 120V / 14 A Q 250 V

yes that is a bit high wall for a regular wall socket

but i see a good number of wall sockets in this document that could do
it at 20 A / 250 V - even two pole / two wire setups .. and a good
number of 30 A / 120 V setups as well ..

http://extranet.garland-group.com/document_catalog/Document%20Catalog%20Files/nema%20Plug%20Guide.pdf

but the 0 to 50% assumption is not a very realistic one .. first of all
you would very likely charge your car up to 80% charge state every night
.. which should give enough range to get to work and back and then to
your brother and back without interim charging ..

bottom line - consider your typical charging needs and then consult with
the local electrician .. before ordering an extra charger (which would
need the electrician anyways for installation)

servus

markus

a-1040 wien                     email: baur at chello.at