[LMB] self-driving vehicles OT:

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Thu Sep 2 16:23:56 BST 2021

The question of anthropomorphic robots vs robotic tools and vehicles las a long history. Asimov wrote one of his essays about it. What his argument boiled down to was that since the robot brain was the most expensive part of the robot, the most economical thing was to use one brain for several purposes. Since tools and vehicles are designed to be used by humans, it makes sense that robots would, at least generally, have a human shape.
Unfortunately, for the good doctor, what is true for positronic brains in fiction is not true in RL. The computers that take the place of his brains are not that expensive, most of the cost is in software which is hard to write but easy to copy. A good robotic hand that can do everything a human hand can do is very expensive.

William A Wenrich
Christian, Husband, Father, Granddaddy, Son, & American. Here I am. I can do no other. God help me!