[LMB] self-driving vehicles OT:

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 19:00:53 BST 2021

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 10:29 AM brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> > On Sep 2, 2021, at 9:23 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> (re Asimov and robots)

> > Unfortunately, for the good doctor, what is true for positronic brains
> in fiction is not true in RL. The computers that take the place of his
> brains are not that expensive, most of the cost is in software which is
> hard to write but easy to copy. A good robotic hand that can do everything
> a human hand can do is very expensive.
>
> True.   And the brain that checks for children behind cars can concentrate
> on that one feature, with another brain adjusting the carburetor settings
> with a third brain checking the traffic report.  No multi-tasking necessary
> with multiple brains.

Not just Asimov, either. It turns out that before we had computers to smoke
test our ideas about computers, we were really bad at guessing what would
be easy and what would be hard for them. Probably based on over-using the
assumption that a human brain = really smart purpose-built computer. Boy
were we wrong.