[LMB] self-driving vehicles OT:

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Thu Sep 2 20:19:46 BST 2021

-----Original Message-----
Matija Grabnar
Very true. A nice representation of it is this comic: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fxkcd.com%2F1425%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7C5355866ff28b465d3e6c08d96e3f5630%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637662040571260730%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=GR0N%2F1SjYGciy9O2A1doCudnA%2BXu1Ebt9DZAQChxFJw%3D&reserved=0

The joke is a bit out of date, we know how to solve that now, just use a neural net.

It would be solved in a few months, work 99% of the time and mysteriously fail to recognize blackbirds ;-)
At Sandia I was asked to write a program to accept donations for individual charities since United Way had made some giving restrictions that people didn't agree with and wanted to charge 10% of all donations that didn't conform to their choices.
I explained that we would have to make certain that all of the giving corresponded to legal charities and  to do that we would have to access the list of charities registered by the state. This was before the ubiquitous internet and would have required someone to get media from the state offices, probably in Santa Fe, and load it into Sandia computers. That was after the system was built and a program installed to let people pick the charity. Remember, no web sites.
They decided to go back the United Way, who decided to waive the fee. (I think that the possible loss of about their biggest contribute in the state might have had something to do with that.)

William A Wenrich
Christian, Husband, Father, Granddaddy, Son, American. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me.