[LMB] OT: Facebook

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 00:06:13 BST 2021

Becca Price said:

> If I didn't have FB, I would have no social life at all. FB is allowing me
> to reach out to old friends, and to make new ones, from the safety of
> my desk.

Yes. I love Facebook. It gives me daily contact with my nearest and dearest
who are hundreds of miles away, or who are across the city but unreachable
in person due to COVID. I try to make a point of phoning people
periodically, but I'm not very good at it. I've never been so
effortlessly in touch with my cousins, scattered all over the country.

> Yeah, there's a lot that's bad about FB, but with a little bit of work,
you
> can "train" your FB feed to only (or mostly) show you what you want
> and are interested in.

I'm not sure why, but I've never had any problems with FB.  If people bore
me or annoy me, I unfriend them.  (This rarely happens.) I really kind of
love seeing the ads directed at me - that defuses the anger I usually feel
when faced by advertising.

And besides, I encounter a lot of interesting things there. There are
friends I have met on FB whom I really value, and others I have come to
know more richly than would happen in person.

Plus I can ask questions and get really good answers.

> virtual interaction is better than no interaction at all.

For sure.

namaste,
Elizabeth