[LMB] OT: Announcement update, FB

Mark Allums mark at allums.email
Fri Sep 3 00:54:03 BST 2021

On 9/2/21 16:11, Pat Mathews wrote:
> All right! Shakes head. I think they're totally winging it at this point.
> ________________________________
>
> In a totally unexpected development, FB reviewed my decision to contest FB
> jail and let me back in this morning!

> (faints)

> Jean Lamb
>You fell afoul of a semi-automated system  My guess is that the evil
anti-vaxxer reported you, and the FB ban-bot banned you automatically.
Then a human reviewed the ban, realized the anti-vaxxer had no grounds,
and fixed it. FB had a terrible time with such things, trusting bots to
judge posts, to the consternation of innocent bystanders, but they've
improved.  Slightly.

I had a Facebook account, but I haven't logged in in years.  (My mother
FBs, so I know a little about it.)  They used to block posts of my Mom's
if she dared criticize Hilary Clinton.  It's not a haven of free speech.
  If you just use it to keep in touch with friends and relatives, it's
fine.  Anything else, one is better off looking elsewhere.*

Mark

* Don't get me started on Russian bots...