[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Fri Sep 3 02:20:44 BST 2021

On Sep 2, 2021, at 2:18 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

>>> And they actually exist today.
>> Some places.
>
> Point is, the tech exists to be used.  Using it or not is a social choice.

But only where it does exist.  Which is mostly not in even slightly rural areas.  A century ago, there was a trolley line out from the city of Utica to the village where I live, with regular service.  Now a bus does make that trip, but not very frequently and not at very useful times for most people.  And there’s never been any public transportation the final three miles from the village to my house.

A proper public transportation system, funded as a service, not for profit, would provide useful transportation to and from the village, but I doubt even a well-funded bus service would travel to all the outlying rural roads, on the chance that someone might want to use it.  The school buses do, in fact, pick up the children from all these areas — but to do that for others would require massive changes not just in infrastructure but in things like people’s schedules — social engineering, I guess it would be? — to make it possible.

Katherine