[LMB] self-driving vehicles OT:

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 03:11:32 BST 2021

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 2:01 PM Louann Miller <domelouann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not just Asimov, either. It turns out that before we had computers to smoke
> test our ideas about computers, we were really bad at guessing what would
> be easy and what would be hard for them. Probably based on over-using the
> assumption that a human brain = really smart purpose-built computer. Boy
> were we wrong.

My freshman psychology professor had a favorite anecdote:  the Harvard
neuroscience lab decided it would spend a summer working out how human
brains processed vision, and seventy years later they were still at it.
Given how much of the brain (the most complex equipment in the known
universe) was known to be devoted to processing visual data even at the
time, this shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.

What is truly extraordinary is how fault-tolerant brains are:  they are
assembled with limited quality control and in remarkably uncontrolled
conditions, and still function reliably.

Matt G.