[LMB] Fwd: OT: The End of Slavery

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 04:07:18 BST 2021

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 10:53 PM Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reason?  Rational discourse? Just watch a school board meeting these days.

Well, there's only so much the Enlightenment could do.  There are some
places it's never been able to reach.

But seriously, there are an increasing number of social movements hostile
to reason in the world, and they keep gaining ground.  (I know, I know, "it
was always thus"... but it does seem to be getting worse.  Illusion?)  H.L.
Mencken famously noted that "they're gaining on us", but by and large they
kept being pushed back.  Now old victories are being eroded, and new ones
seem to be harder and harder to come by.  Questioning authority seems to be
devolving into ignoring reality.  People seek certainties that can never
be, and so embrace ridiculous ideologies that assert themselves with
perfect confidence... which ought to be recognized as a warning sign, but
generally is not.  Everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned...

Matt "I know, I know" G.