[LMB] The Spirit Right Chapters 1 and 2 - Contrasting Introductions

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 05:32:22 BST 2021

Chapter 2 is where spontaneous, untrained, and 'natural' magic first
appears.  Not only in the form of the kobolds, their abilities, and the
prophecy they grant Thur - Thur seems to have the ability to sense veins of
ore.  And rather peculiarly, he gets a jolt of 'magic sense' when he first
picks up the letter suggesting he apprentice himself, even before he reads
it.  (IIRC)

This suggests that there's something objectively correct about the decision
to take up the offer.  Perhaps the ore-sense is really more of a sense of
what choice should be made?  Making him and Fiametta destined to be
together cheapens their romance somewhat to me, and I'd prefer not to view
it that way... but how else to explain that surge?

Matt G.