[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Fri Sep 3 08:03:42 BST 2021

One of my favorite Swiss anecdotes happened closer to the dawn of time,
when people still traveled to the office to work from there.

A coworker (a Swiss born coworker, which made him a rarity in that
office packed with expats) came to his desk, and I could see he was livid.

He lived in a different canton, and commuted by train. Google
Switzerland locates it's offices convenient to train stations, because
people in Switzerland like to commute by train and because parking is
expensive (parking near the office will cost you 350-500 Francs/month rent).

He was so angry he was puffing, and spoke in spurts.

"What's the matter?" I asked him.

"The train was more than 3 minutes late!"

"It is the second time this year!"

"And it's only October!"

So when you speak to a Swiss person, and they tell you their trains are
not punctual at all, that's what they mean.

Also, don't mention Cuckoo clocks. Those are Bavarian.