[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Fri Sep 3 10:35:29 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Friday, September 3rd, 2021 at 3:37 AM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a somewhat tangential note: self-driving cars initially sound more
>
> convenient.

However, if people cannot pay a bus fare, how can they pay a car?

 But I suspect that after such things become viable it will be

> increasingly difficult to drive a vehicle ourselves. Computer-controlled
>
> cars are easy to control and track. And simple to redirect.

I would guess that we are a long way from that yet. A lot of people would prefer to drive themselves.
Or are you thinking of a taxi service?

 A healthy

> paranoia suggests that we should consider the motivations of people trying
>
> to introduce such things, just as with those who have been pushing hard for
>
> data to be stored in clouds and the re-centralization of computer
>
> mainframes.

Except data not stored in the clouds, and to my knowledge neither are the big servers.