[LMB] OT: weird and wonderful human brain, was self-driving vehicles OT:

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 14:03:54 BST 2021

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 7:39 AM WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> Not only fault tolerant but self repairing and self reprogramming.
> Brian had a piece of his brain removed and is getting the small defects in
> his vision back.
> We’ve all heard of the experiment with the inverting glasses. (I say that
> the experimenters got lucky. They didn’t know that they weren’t going to
> permanently cripple all or some of those college kids.)

Brains are incredible. For the past five or six years I've been using a
paid phone app (Duolingo) to learn a second language, Spanish in my case.
It turns out to be really fun. But the reason I started was as a way of
giving myself as much advantage in brain plasticity as possible. The effect
is so powerful, in some studies stroke patients who are bilingual recover
substantially better than similar monolingual patients.