[LMB] self-driving vehicles OT:

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 17:49:55 BST 2021

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 9:30 AM brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> > On Sep 2, 2021, at 2:34 AM, tidsel via Lois-Bujold <
> >
> > I must admit that I do not see why cars should be made automatic, except
> in certain set conditions and routes.
> > Except for making someone lots of money.
>
> If the cars are going to be used in certain set conditions and routes,
> then the costs will be there wherever the cars are.
>
> Incrementally automatic cars are already saving lives.   Gradually making
> them smarter will save more lives.
>
> Automatic cars that talk to each other and with the roads will handle
> traffic better.
> --

Airplanes are more & more automated. (Recently read Flying Finish by Dick
Francis, where the automatic pilot is mentioned)

Planes have set conditions & routes, far more than cars.
However, they move through all sorts of weather conditions.
How does this affect the argument?

Sylvia - doesn't pilot a plane or drive a car, but enjoying the discussion