[LMB] The Spirit Right Chapters 1 and 2 - Contrasting Introductions

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 18:03:26 BST 2021

It's rather a different story if one of the two protagonists is prone to
vivid hallucinations!

We later get independent confirmation of the existence of kobolds, and
we've already had seeming confirmation of the reality of magic, so we're
primed to accept what we see through Thur's perceptions at face value.

It would certainly be an interesting twist for the 'fantasy' story to rely
on the perceptions of a schizophrenic or delusion-prone character, as seems
to be the case in "They Look Like People" or "Pan's Labyrinth".  Our Host
doesn't typically use unreliable narrators - when Miles has hallucinations,
he's fully aware he's having them.  Except when he's delirious, in which
case his experiences are so disjointed they're obviously the result of
delirium.

Have we =ever= had a genuinely unreliable narrator in a Bujold work?

Matt G.