[LMB] self-driving vehicles OT:

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 18:08:21 BST 2021

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 8:39 AM WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> We’ve all heard of the experiment with the inverting glasses. (I say that
> the experimenters got lucky. They didn’t know that they weren’t going to
> permanently cripple all or some of those college kids.)

Not really true.  If their brains had enough flexibility to adjust to
relatively brief periods of anomalous perception, they ought to have been
able to adjust to much longer stretches of normal perception afterwards.
Enough was known about neural plasticity to be reasonably sure there would
be no harmful effects.  But of course, dealing with the unknown means
unexpected surprises at times.  Which is why they used volunteers.

Matt G.