[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Fri Sep 3 18:31:22 BST 2021

When my parents were alive and living on Vancouver Island, there was a
regular and reasonably frequent bus service going up-Island from Victoria
which dropped me off only a couple blocks from their house in Cowichan
Bay.

So I'd take a plane to Victoria, a city bus to the bus station, and an
intercity bus to their place - all quite do-able.

Or think of all those books one's read set in England from the mid-19th to
mid-20th centuries, where one would take a train to near one's country
destination, and then either be picked up in car or carriage or sleigh,
or take a taxi or walk.

If there's a decent local bus/train feeder system working off a larger
spine system, one can manage without a car in many cases. The problem is
that it's been removed as not being profitable enough in the last few
decades.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor