[LMB] self-driving vehicles OT:

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Fri Sep 3 19:00:16 BST 2021

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
> Airplanes are more & more automated. (Recently read Flying Finish by Dick
> Francis, where the automatic pilot is mentioned)
>
> Planes have set conditions & routes, far more than cars.
> However, they move through all sorts of weather conditions.
> How does this affect the argument?

There are a number of pilots who put out regular YouTube videocasts about
commercial aviation. I can recommend the channels by

"Captain Joe"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88tlMjiS7kf8uhPWyBTn_A

and in particular Mentour Pilot
https://www.youtube.com/c/MentourPilotaviation

Mentour has released a whole series of videos recently examining crashes
and near-crashes and what led to them -- and how pilots managed to
get themselves out of unexpected conditions that weren't their fault.

They're quite addictive.

But the major point one gets out of these is how much aviation is
essentially imposing order on chaos.
- Training for less-common events,
- checklists for contingencies,
- two pilots both of whose concerns must be considered valid (a master
pilot who didn't listen has been shown to be a major contributor to some
crashes),
- following the checklists for all sections of the flight, and
- working carefully with air traffic control, including asking permission
for any notable changes in flight path/altitude

And if something goes wrong, each country has a government agency which
carefully figures out why and how to avoid the problem in the future,
publishes its findings, and ensures that they are incorporated into pilot
training and retraining.

Aviation today is exactly the opposite of "winging it" - which is why it's
reasonably safe despite weather and other problems.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca