[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 20:32:56 BST 2021

*blinks*

Well, maybe things really did work that way in Europe.  I'm pretty sure US
mail service has declined specifically because it's used so much less.  And
the Post Office was legally prevented from charging higher rates or
branching out into alternative communications.  I know a guy who is
convinced that the Post Office ought to have established a
taxpayer-supported network backbone across the US and provided access to
the Internet as a basic utility.  But it couldn't and didn't happen.

For a long time, it was illegal for anyone to compete with the US mail
service.  But then restrictions were relaxed, and voila! competitors sprung
up.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 2:41 PM tidsel via Lois-Bujold <