[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Fri Sep 3 21:00:19 BST 2021

On Sep 3, 2021, at 1:31 PM, alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:

> The problem is that it's been removed as not being profitable enough in the last few decades.

This. Where public transportation/the postal service/other amenities? are thought of as a _service_, something that governments ought to provide for people, and probably supported by taxes, they work well (as public transportation did in the UK when I lived there in the ‘70s).  But many of these amenities are ill-suited to supporting themselves as private businesses, so once they are privatized or starved of necessary funding, they become less and less useful, and use declines, further undercutting their funding.

Katherine