[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubbles

brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Sep 3 21:03:29 BST 2021

> On Sep 3, 2021, at 1:45 PM, Katherine (Kathy) Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:
>
> That said, we have a diary in the college archives of a student just before the Civil War who lived in the city of Rome, 15 miles north of here, who describes his summer excursions including train to and from various towns between here and Syracuse (>40 miles west), horse and buggy drives with his buddies and their girls to local beauty spots for picnics, and a trip with his uncle, also in horse-drawn vehicle, from Rome down to the village south of Clinton.  So, quite mobile within a limited area, especially where trains are available.

There is a pair of movies, My Father’s Glory & My Mother’s Castle which take place in the youth of a French film maker before WWI.   In the first movie the boy’s family takes a train as far as he could to the country to spend the summer, and hikes the rest of the way.

In the second movie, the film maker rents (for a film) an old building that he had hiked past as a kid.

The main thing I remember from those movies was how far away the countryside was, but is now basically, in the city.

It’s easy to compete with mail service in the city.   Hard to do so in rural areas.   If mail went away, it is the people in the countryside who would be hurt.