[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubbles

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Fri Sep 3 22:21:08 BST 2021

Part of the difference is size and attitude. The old saying that in the US a hundred years is a long time and a hundred miles is a short distance is true. I can’t get out of NM in a hundred miles. In Europe, they might go to three countries. Brian’s current job is in Santa Fe. When he can’t work from home, he has about a 180 mile round trip.
The last mile problem may be greater here. I usually buy groceries by the week. The store I usually shop at is about a mile and a quarter away, walking distance, but I really can’t carry a full weeks worth of groceries.
I pick up two of my granddaughters after school every day and It’s 8.7 miles away.
The bus schedule doesn’t permit commuting except in special cases.
Albuquerque Rapid Transit even before COVID was years late, many millions over budget, and forced many small businesses along its route to close. (As I said this was even before COVID.) It only serves a small corridor. I doubt people will vote the money for extensions.

William A Wenrich
Christian, Husband, Father, Granddaddy, Son, & American. Here I am. I can do no other. God help me!