[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubble

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 22:27:44 BST 2021

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:32:56 -0400, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>*blinks*
>
>Well, maybe things really did work that way in Europe.  I'm pretty sure US
>mail service has declined specifically because it's used so much less.  And
>the Post Office was legally prevented from charging higher rates or
>branching out into alternative communications.  I know a guy who is
>convinced that the Post Office ought to have established a
>taxpayer-supported network backbone across the US and provided access to
>the Internet as a basic utility.  But it couldn't and didn't happen.

We *sort of* have that in the UK; British Telecom used to be part of the
Post Office, but was de-merged before the internet was a public thing.

They still own most of the backbone, but the infrastructure part has now
been spun off as "OpenReach", and BT Internet is just another retail
customer.

The counter-intuitive effect of this monopoly is that we have a very
competitive retail broadband market, because OpenReach are obliged to
provide wholesale services to anyone that meets the criteria.
--
The trouble with these "I'm a bigger asshole than you are"
contests is that they are winnable."  - Christopher J. Henrich