[LMB] OT: Cars, independence, and haut bubbles

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sat Sep 4 01:59:43 BST 2021

Dear William,

My two primary grocery stores are 2.1km (1.3 miles) and 1.9km (1.18 miles)
away -- so about the same distance as yours. We don't own a car and get
everything home by foot or by bike. We do have a bike trailer, which is
useful for bulky items like toilet tissue or for carrying 10lb of potatoes
or 10kg of flour -- but those could also be rolled along in a wheeled
shopping bag.

A trip to the store and back provides basic exercise for the day. We
usually go two to four times a week and thus can spread out heavier items
more easily.

I know other people who do the same.

It may be that your store is not easily accessible on foot for other
reasons, but the distance is by no means unreasonable.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca