[LMB] not quite a haut bubble OT:

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 03:57:38 BST 2021

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 8:20 PM brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> > On Sep 3, 2021, at 4:38 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Isn’t ’biro’ a common name for a ballpoint pen?
> >

> > It's an eponym, like "Hoover" for any vacuum cleaner.
> >
> > Named after László Bíró, the inventor.
> >
> > In France, they use "Bic" the same way.
>
> I heard about “Bic”, but “Brio” is a new one for me.
>
> The people I knew using “Hoover” that way are dead now.

I pretty much know "biro" only from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I
think both that and "hoover" as an eponym are more common in British
English than they are in the U.S. The latter appears in Ben Aaronovitch's
books with fair frequency, both as a noun and a verb.

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>