[LMB] The Spirit Ring

catherine muir c_muir68 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 5 17:58:22 BST 2021

A general point (as I still have to re-read.

It seems to me that much of this book is about secret knowledges and powers, and the right and wrong uses of same.

The Bishop is empowered to sanction or forbid magic; he does so with a reasonable amount of understanding as to why – I.e. motive matters as well as the way magic is used, and the actual skills employed.

Fiametta’s powers are inherent, with some small learning.  She accepts the authority of her father and the Bishop to order these powers.

Thur works in the mines, as a miner, later as a blacksmith, a very particular skill and one with links to magic in various mythologies (cf Wayland Smith,  and also from Pterry, Jason Ogg!).

Fiametta’s father acknowledges the Bishop’s authority, and avoids binding the soul in the ring.

Fiametta and Thur likewise avoid binding the soul of the Captain.

By contrast, the Prince in both political and magical power recognises no higher authority; his own desires are all that seems to matter to him.  He seems to be a prime example of Granny Weatherwax’s definition of evil; he treats people like things.  He seeks power by whatever means he can get it, people if they get in his way can be destroyed.